A couple of years ago, as we were both going through breakups, my very good friend and I observed how easy it is to be sucked into a vortex of negativity. So we started writing daily letters to each other, summing up the daily positives.
This is what we wrote
April 10th, 2012. Me.
- The nutrition training I attended with no charge, that normally costs $60.
- One of my friend’s vacation pictures, that made me daydream
- My friend’s boyfriend who said we look like each other. I will take that as a compliment, in no weird way at all
- The fruit yogurt and soup I had for lunch. And the hot cocoa. On second thought, maybe that wasn’t such a good idea :))
- My other friends’ humor
- My boss taking half a day off and me spending that half a day internet surfing
- Ellen DeGeneres’ jokes on Titanic 3D
- Getting a massage
April 10th, 2012. My Friend.
- I have a wonderful friend, with whom I share this with :*
- Talked with my mother on the phone and controlled my tendencies to be aggressive
- My boss supervised my activity today and she was finally satisfied
- I finished work at 3:45
- I cooked a delicious salad for myself
- My hair looked great even though it wasn’t washed
- A good friend gave me a call
- I may have a plan for Labor Day
- I am the ‘ideal girl’ – and I quote
- I am going to the gym and I will look great 😀
- How do you cope with a breakup?
- Do you have a go-to strategy to pull yourself out of the emotional slump?
p.s. If you have a friend who is going through a break-up, please share this post with her.