If you are not using your location in your stories, you are missing out on a huge opportunity for growth.
I frequently get asked: How can I grow my Instagram account?
One easy way to get discovered organically is through Geotagging. Meaning tagging the location of your Instagram stories and posts.
Geotagging puts you on the map. Literally. When your story gets featured on a location story, your content will be seen by EVERYBODY checking that location out. This will lead to a significant increase in your story view numbers, and potentially new followers.
Here’s an example:
Today I tagged my story at Commons Coworking Lounge. 20 minutes in, Insta notified me I was featured in Bucharest’s story, and my story started getting extra, organic views:
Why? Well, anybody curious to see what people are sharing in Bucharest got to see my content. Check it out yourself: search for any given location and look through the stories (top bubble):
In case you haven’t tried the feature yourself yet, here’s how it works:
- Make sure you are using a recent version of Instagram.
- Begin a new story. Snap something awesome or upload a photo you already have available
- Click the happy face icon located at the top of the screen. Select the Location option, then search for your location and add it to your story. You can still add other features to your story in addition to the location tag.
- PRO TIP 1: Always tag your location as granular as you can, to amplify your reach. For example, if you tag your story in the restaurant, you may get featured in that restaurants’ / cities’ / or countries’ story.
- PRO TIP 2: If you don’t want to compromise the quality of your photo, make your location tag tiny (just pinch and squeeze to make it smaller).
While your stories will not always be featured (the Instagram mysterious and ever-changing algorithms decide what content gets featured when and where), very often you will be! Note: Accounts set to private will NOT be featured.
Now, I’d L.O.V.E to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and let me know
- Have you ever been featured? What were the benefits for your account (% increase in views, new followers, business opportunities etc)
- Wondering how to strategically use geotagging in your business. Leave your question in the comments.
The fact that Instagram rolled out Geotags to Stories is not breaking news: the feature started to be tested out in a few locations in December 2016 and was eventually rolled out broadly in May 2017. A big surprise and a development breakthrough, after Snapchat has been doing so since August 2016. *Cough-Cough*